The Stag and the Hunter

Author: Aesop




In the woods once lived a stag. He went to the pond to drink one day and stood there pondering about his appearance as he stared at his reflection in the water. "My horns are so beautiful," he continued, "and they give me such a tall and strong appearance." I feel like a powerful monarch wearing a crown! My legs, on the other hand, are tiny and unfit for a king like me. "I'm ashamed and embarrassed by how skinny my legs are."

Then the stag heard dogs barking in the distance. He then heard the hunter's horn blaring. "Oh no!" the stag exclaimed. ""I need to get out of here."

The stag then bolted as fast as his legs could carry him. He was soon far enough away from the hunter that the hunter's horn faded into the distance.

However, just as the stag thought he was safe, his horns became entangled in the trees. The stag had been stuck and was unable to move! He twisted and turned, but he couldn't accomplish anything. He could hear the hunter and the dogs getting closer and closer.

"Woe is me!" screamed the stag. "I was the admirer of my horns, but they caused my demise, whereas my skinny legs could have secured me!"


Moral:

People are not always the most accurate judges of their own strengths and capabilities.

What is most appealing is not always the most functional.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Parts of Speech in English Grammar

Naveed Jan English

Gentle Giants