The Fisherman and the Little Fish

 Author: Aesop



Once upon a time, in a small village near the river, there lived a fisherman named John. He spent his days casting his net into the water, hoping to catch some fish to sell at the market.

One sunny afternoon, as John was untangling his net, he noticed a particularly small and colorful fish swimming near the surface of the water. With excitement in his eyes, he quickly cast his net, catching the little fish.

As he was about to place the fish in his basket, it started pleading for its life.

Fish: "Please, kind fisherman, spare me! I am far too little to be eaten. Let me go, and I promise to grow bigger and tastier!"

John: “That’s true, little fish, but even a small fish like you may give a tasty feast. I must think of the present, not the uncertain future."

Fish: "But, sir, consider how many other fish I could produce if you spare me. It would be better to wait for a greater harvest in the future."

John: "Ah, you may be right, little fish. But I am a fisherman, and every little catch brings me closer to feeding my family. It would be foolish of me to give up the advantage of a present meal for an uncertain future."

With a heavy heart, the fisherman prepared to cook the fish. The little fish's desperate cries echoed in his ears, making him think twice about his decision.

In the end, however, John couldn't resist the tantalizing smell of a fresh fish meal. He cooked and enjoyed the little fish, all the while pondering the wisdom of his choice.

Moral: A minor benefit is more valuable than a great promise. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Parts of Speech in English Grammar

Naveed Jan English

Gentle Giants